Friday, July 13, 2012

Cheesy rice and squash casserole

I know that I am probably never going to be the greatest cook.  And I don't mind.  I would like to be an ok one though, and thankfully I believe I am on the road to this title.

Tonight I made a casserole that I didn't have a recipe for.  I just haphazardly cooked and combined some ingredients I had at the house.



Cheesy rice and squash casserole
Ingredients:

1 cup rice
1 yellow squash
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (although other soups would do as well)
2 slices of american cheese
1 cup of shredded cheese (whatever you prefer)


Oven temp: 350

I started out by rinsing my rice and cooking it in the rice cooker.  You only have to rinse it if you have the fancy kind.  And if you don't have a rice cooker you can cook your rice on the stove or in the microwave if you use the Minute Rice.

While the rice was cooking I got some salted water set to boil.  Then I cut up my squash into small rounds.  Once the water was boiling I dumped the squash in.

When the rice was done cooking, I immediately scooped it out of the cooker and into a casserole dish.  Then I mixed in the cream of chicken soup.

While I was waiting for the squash I broke apart the American cheese into small pieces and stirred that in.

I drained the squash and mixed it into the dish.  Last, I sprinkled the shredded cheese on top and then put it in the oven.

I wasn't watching the clock all that closely but I'd guess this cooked in the oven for 10-15 min.

Self reviews:

Although I sliced the squash as thin as I could, I still did not allow it to cook long enough and in the end it wasn't as tender as I would have liked it to be.

The flavor was a tad bland, although I'm not sure what I could add to boost that.

I'd make it again, although next time I might try a different can of soup and I'd like to tweak it a bit more.


Overall, I'd give my recipe:


What would you suggest to help my recipe gain more yummy stars?

1 comment:

  1. You should use some more spices. Try onion powder and either garlic salt or garlic powder, Id do garlic salt, personally. It will give you more flavor in general.

    ReplyDelete