Friday, July 13, 2012

What she said

A college acquaintance of mine recently talked about her opportunity to hear Charlaine Harris speak at a book signing in Lexington, KY. 


**Jealous.  Then again, throughout the 4 years that I lived there, I was too busy cramming my cranium full with the studies that I didn't often have the chance to read for fun.  What, you mean education isn't fun?  Ah, then I meant I hardly read fiction during my time in Cat Country.**

An audience member asked Charlaine if she had any comments on the HBO series, True Blood.  She very matter-of-factly stated, "No." 

Wait a minute, now, Missy.  Isn't that show getting you boatloads of money?

-----------*****fast forward to the start of season 5*****-----------

Ah, yes.  I get it. 

I have to give credit to the show for bringing her book series to my attention in the first place.  I have to admit that I did not start reading the books until after I had seen the entire first season of True Blood.  And I love both.  Now I have read through every book in the Sookie Stackhouse adventures, itching for more.  I was also on my tippy-toes waiting for the new season of the show.  Everyone is attractive; there's danger; something for everyone who's old enough to watch it.  But I'm becoming more and more annoyed with the direction that the show has taken.

I've read the interview with the show's creator who talked about the liberties taken with the characters and the plot.  He claimed that it was all to flesh out the show and to see other characters in a larger perspective.  Sure, this makes sense.  But this season is utterly unrecognizable from the books.  My husband has not read them and until now, I could tell him that this was different, or the main plot was the same but more characters where there than in the book, and so on.  Now I can honestly say that none of this happens. At all.  I think he's starting to get agitated with me because I find myself at the end of each episode saying, "What in the world just happened?  That's not how it goes at all!"  "Yes, I know.  You've already said that." Oops.

  I have not a clue what is going on in the realm of tv Sookie.


Will this mean that I will stop watching the show?  Nope.  Like I said, everyone is pretty.  And it still has me guessing.  But I have more sympathy now with Mrs. Harris, knowing that they've taken her brain-child and completely twisted it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment