Sunday, September 23, 2012

Book Review: The Declaration Series

 
 http://www.gemmamalley.com/books/

I am an advocate of young adult literature, and I enjoy reading it despite the fact that I am no longer considered a young adult.  So many kids get turned off from reading because of what is pushed on them at school.  Sure, lots of people bash the Twilight series, but look at how it got people reading. I don't understand why some people turn their noses to YA, because it is a much-needed genre.  Anywho...

The Declaration series is a three-book saga that follows through a future dystopian society where a longevity drug allows people to live forever, and having children is forbidden.  Some people can't resist the urge to procreate, and they are imprisoned and their child is taken away for life.

The reader gets to know Anna, a surplus child forced to live in a hall full of other children who were taken away from their parents.  Submissive and careful to follow the rules, Anna's whole perspective changes when a new surplus arrives - Peter.  I could go on and on, but I wouldn't want to ruin the plot for anyone who plans to read the books.

Apart from the age of the characters, there is nothing young about these books.  The subject matter is serious, dark, and occasionally violent.  Readers who enjoyed The Hunger Games series would be drawn to this story.

I love Gemma Malley's writing, and plan to read her other two books.  Anyone who wants an easy read that will make you think should pick up this trilogy.  I'd love to see it made into a movie.





 

2 comments:

  1. I am just getting to a point in my life where I am reading again, and plan to always have a book I am reading (even if it takes a while!). It is a bit slow going, but I agree with you on the YA thing! I don't read them, but kudos for them getting more readers out there. Everybody has something bad to say about EVERYTHING it seems :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you are finding joy in reading as well. Sometimes it takes me forever to finish a book. Other times just a day or two. Depends on how into it I am and how much down time I have to read. I've had more lately because Daven only wants to snuggle with his daddy at night now. I'm sure it's harder for you, having more than one kiddo! Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete