Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Tortilla Soup

A few days ago I tried my hand at tortilla soup. I knew the basic ingredients, but between my husband and I we have picky palates so I didn't go straight to a recipe.

I started with frozen chicken. I used 8 small, tenderloin pieces. I put them on the stove with enough water to cover them and added salt, pepper, garlic powder and chili powder.

Watch to boil, then simmer and cover. I flipped a few times and let cook for an hour.

Next I used two forks to shred the chicken. To the stock in the pot from cooking the chicken I added a can of tomato sauce and a few cups of water.

I have been growing my own cilantro, so I used my own to chop and add. I didn't have near enough for my own taste though, so I need more next time.

Add the chicken back in to the mix.

The night before Adam grilled corn on the cob. We had more than we needed so I cut the corn from the cob. This is what I used for the soup although you could just as well use frozen. The picture shown was from two cobs.

Add in more seasonings and simmer until dinner, stirring occasionally.

We didn't have the crispy tortilla strips to put on top like the restaurant but it was still pretty tasty.

It could have been spicier, but I made it on the mild side so my toddler would eat it. (He didn't anyhow). And as I said, I would have preferred a ton more cilantro, but that's just me.

Have you made this soup? What do you do differently?

No comments:

Post a Comment