Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Book Review: Who We Were

 "...sometimes memories of the past are hardest to part with" 
- from book description on Goodreads

I was so excited to be one of the privileged people who got to read Christy Sloat's new book before its official release date.  This is her first book-writing experience in the genre of contemporary romance for YA, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

Who We Were officially releases on September 15



Sadie is attending summer school - by choice.  While most teens are there to make up for slacking off the previous school year and failing, Sadie wants to get ahead so that she can begin taking college credit during her senior year.  The class that she needs is at a different school than she attends, and the peers that she meets there will shape her summer into something much different than she could have ever thought.

This book has so much hurt hidden between the pages.  I wanted to reach through the pages of the book (OK, you caught me - I was reading on my iPad mini) and shake some sense into one of the characters.  I don't want to write any spoilers, so I won't go into detail.  But just know that this book is more than just a typical romance.  

Friendship.  Football players.  Parties.  Twins.  

On a bit of a side note, I just want to applaud Christy Sloat for not taking the "true love waits" approach to teen romance.  It irks me to no end when reading a YA novel and the main characters rush to get married so that they can stay pure, or only kiss once - I know that people will disagree with me on this, but I think that view point is simply unrealistic.  Once upon a time I was as big of a prude as the come, but lets be realistic; teens show affection. 

Alright, stepping down from my podium now.

The last page of this book gave me all the feels.  In a good way, though.  Who We Were is so different from her other books, which really goes to show how Christy Sloat can capture audiences across multiple genres.  I'm so thrilled to be a part of helping celebrate her release and can't wait to see what she writes next!

Pre-order your copy on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment